WHAT IS KNEE CAP PAIN?
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Kneecap Pain) is a broad term used to describe pain in the front of the knee and around/behind the kneecap (patella). It is common in people who play sports such as running/biking, especially females and young adults. It can cause difficulties climbing stairs, kneeling, and doing other everyday activities due to pain and stiffness.
WHAT ARE COMMON KNEECAP PAIN SYMPTOM?
- Gradually pain in or around kneecaps
- Noticeable pain when going up or downstairs, squatting, kneeling or running
WHAT CAUSES KNEECAP PAIN
Kneecap pain is one of the most common pains in sports, and women are twice as vulnerable as men. Common causes are:
- Direct injuries to knees
- Malalignment of knees
- Problems with feet
- Weak or unbalanced thigh muscles
WHICH TREATMENTS ARE RECOMMENDED TO REDUCE KNEECAP PAIN?
- Icing knees
- Remedial Massage. Book an appointment now
- Suitable sportswear
WHAT SHOULD BE AVOIDED IF I HAVE KNEECAP PAIN
- Avoid overusing knees
- Avoid wearing wrong shoes.
- Avoid putting too much weight on the painful knee. Start with some warm-up exercises before training, increase training gradually and reduce activities that hurt the knees.
- Avoid ignoring the pain hoping it will go away. Give knee a rest.
- Perform high-impact activities such as biking or running. Change to low-impact activities such as stretching to reduce pressure on the knees.
Orthoinfo n.d., Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, viewed 23 Oct 2019, <https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome/>
WebMD 2017, Runner’s Knee: What You Need to Know, WebMD Medical Reference, viewed 23 Oct 2019, <https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee#3>
Tonic Health Media Pty Ltd 2015, Patellofemoral pain syndrome (kneecap pain), MyDr, viewed 23 Oct 2019, <https://www.mydr.com.au/sports-fitness/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome-kneecap-pain>