WHAT IS DERMAPLANING?
Dermaplaning is also known as microplanning or blading, and it’s a non-invasive intense exfoliation of both dead skin and soft hair on the face and neck with a surgical scalpel.
This treatment temporarily removes the fine superficial vellus hair from the face, commonly known as “peach fuzz.” hair of the face, leaving a very smooth surface. As with any type of exfoliation, the removal of dead skin cells allows skincare products to be more effective, aiming to achieve a more youthful or radiant look. It is also highly effective in minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and acne scars.
It is suitable in the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, couperose (tiny vessels near the surface of the skin), and congested pores.
HOW IT WORKS AND WHAT IS IT USED FOR?
Dermaplaning can be used on any skin type and assist with uneven texture, fine lines and wrinkles, congestion and blackheads, dull and lifeless skin and extra peach fuzz hair.
The basic concept of dermaplaning is the same as shaving. By aiming a sterile blade at a 45-degree angle and dragging it slowly across your skin, you remove dead cells, scar tissue, and other debris that may be making your skin’s surface look uneven.
ADVANTAGES OF DERMAPLANING
• Removes dead skin cells
• Enhances the penetration of active ingredients
• Removal of fluffy hairs and does not make the hair grow back thicker and darker
• Assists with general skin health, dull, uneven skin tone, congestion and dehydration
• It painlessly exfoliates the stratum corneum to stimulate cellular turnover with little to no downtime.
• It is a great option for clients with sensitive skin and pregnant women who are looking for a deep exfoliation.
• It can be performed prior to treatments like facials, laser, microdermabrasion, and chemical peels for better product penetration.
• It can be performed frequently.
• It helps makeup go on smoother and more evenly.
• It can help significantly lighten post inflammatory scars from past acne.
RISKS OR SIDE EFFECTS OF DERMAPLANING?
Dermaplaning is safe for virtually everyone. However, you should avoid it if you have a tan, sunburn, active acne, a flaring rosacea breakout, or an inflammatory skin condition such as eczema or psoriasis. If you have a lot of deep acne scarring, you also want to be careful with dermaplaning since there may be an easier chance of nicking your skin during the treatment.
Let your therapist know if you have a history of cold sores as dermaplaning can re-activate them.
PREPARATION FOR TREATMENT
• Discontinue all physical or chemical exfoliants for 5-7 days before
• Hair removal should be avoided for at least 2 weeks
• Best to reschedule dermaplaning until the skin is healed if in the middle of an active breakout
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR TREATMENT?
During a dermaplaning procedure, you shouldn’t feel any pain. You may feel a tingling sensation during the treatment.
Once you’re settled in, your therapist will use an electronic or manual dermaplaning tool to scrape over your skin at a 45-degree angle. This will continue for 20 to 30 minutes, on average, as they gently work to exfoliate the skin.
After the treatment is finished, your therapist will soothe your skin with a substance like aloe. They will also apply sunscreen to protect your face.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR TREATMENT?
• This treatment involves zero downtime
• After your treatment, your skin may have a tight feeling, and you may experience some redness or a little flaking.
• Avoid direct sun exposure for 48 hours (We recommend using a high-quality SPF product to protect your skin from the sun at all times).
• Minimal exercise, hot showers, pools spas and saunas for 48 hours
WHAT DO AND DON’T AFTER TREATMENT
• Avoid direct sun exposure and sweat for 3 days and then use a high factor sunscreen (SPF 30+) to protect your delicate facial skin
o Your pores will be open and sweating can cause them to reopen as they mend. This may interfere with your recovery process and allow bacteria to enter the punctures. Try your best to avoid tasks that leave you sweaty.
• Avoid extreme heat such as saunas or steam rooms for 3 days
• Do not use scrubs or other exfoliators for 1 week. Follow a very simple skincare routine for 2 weeks post-treatment. Cleanse your skin gently using water only or a very mild cleanser
• Avoid chlorine for 1 week
• Apply serums and moisturizers. It is important to moisturize your freshly exfoliated skin regularly to rehydrate it. Many patients find that products containing hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and retinol are particularly effective post dermaplaning treatment
o Any products you use after receiving the facial will become more effective, as the treatment removes dead skin cells and cleans up your pores allowing products to penetrate better. Your makeup will look sleek, leaving you with smooth skin.
• Do not wear any makeup for 24 hours
• Do not book in any other facial treatments until 2 weeks after your dermaplaning
• Do not rub your skin dry, instead pat it gently
• Avoid the use of any harsh cleaning products
• Avoid using a washcloth, instead just use your clean fingers to cleanse your face
$160 / 75 minutes