THE HISTORY OF MICRO-NEEDLING
Microneedling dates back over one hundred years. Back in 1905, a German dermatologist first used a technique involving the use of rotating wheels and rasps which helped treat acne scars, keratoses and hyperpigmentations of the skin. Years later, in 1996, a Canadian plastic surgeon discovered that puncturing skin with tattoo needles results in improved facial scar tissue, and that same year, another plastic surgeon introduced a needling device that he used to stimulate collagen production in his patients. This particular doctor, Dr. Des Fernandes, is the pioneer of this skin needling technique that is now known as the safest and most effective way to bring life back into our skin. Professor Horst Liebl was the microneedling inventor.
WHAT IS MICRO-NEEDLING?
Microneedling sometimes referred to as Skin Needling or Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), is a minimally invasive, advanced skin rejuvenation treatment suitable for all skin types. It is a procedure used to reduce the visible signs of ageing and the appearance of acne scarring which will also improve skin texture and tone. Essentially it provides an overall rejuvenation of the skin and brings many benefits.
Skin needling is a technologically advanced procedure but the concept behind it is fairly straightforward: the skin is ‘wounded’ at a micro level in a virtually painless way, so the skin reacts by kick-starting its healing mechanisms and stimulating the production of collagen and increases cell renewal resulting in a fresher, smoother, younger-looking appearance.
Skin needling is a very popular anti-ageing treatment due to its effectiveness while being minimally invasive, especially in comparison to other skin rejuvenation methods. It is a chemical-free, mechanical process which is appealing to those with sensitive skin and people who simply prefer natural, chemical-free skincare. The skin’s reaction to skin needling is less severe than with other treatments such as chemical peels and cosmetic surgery, and the recovery post treatment is relatively quick.
HOW DOES THE MICRO-NEEDLING WORK?
Micro-needling works by using tiny needles to create small perforations, or ‘micro-channels’ in the skin. This stimulates the healing response of the deeper layers and encourages your skin to make new, collagen-rich tissue.
The micro-channels created during the treatment allow active ingredients from your skincare products to penetrate to the deepest layers of the skin to deliver even more powerful results.
It’s considered effective in treating minor scarring related to acne, wounds and aging, promoting brighter and firmer skin. It is also far more effective than at-home rollers. It’s considered safe for most people who are in overall good health.
ARE THERE ANY RISKS OR SIDE EFFECTS OF MICRO-NEEDLING?
- Not ideal for active breakouts although is ideal once you have cleared your skin, this treatment can help improve the appearance of acne scarring. In the same way that the microneedling improves the appearance of aging skin, increased collagen and elastin production also helps to reduce acne scars.
- Not recommended in conjunction with some acne medications or If you have psoriasis, eczema, open wounds or active cystic acne, keloid scarring or if you are pregnant.
- Not recommended if you have had radiation therapy recently.
- Slight swelling
- Temporary discomfort
- Minor redness
- Possible bruising
- Light flaking
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR MICRO-NEEDLING TREATMENT?
Our skin needling treatment uses a medical-grade micro needling device with microscopic, motorised needles to create thousands of tiny punctures into the skin. Your therapist will move the tool evenly across your skin so that the new skin that rejuvenates will be even, too.
There is an option to apply a numbing cream 30 minutes prior to treatment if you are worried about pain, but trust us – you’ll feel relaxed before, during, and after this incredible skincare treatment. There is also a soothing mask/serum/calming treatment applied post-treatment to help calm and cool the skin, and minimize any redness. While it’s recommended not to wear makeup or sweat for 24 hours after getting the treatment, you can go about business as usual. We also recommend applying sunscreen liberally to protect the skin.
TARGETED AREAS FOR MICRO-NEEDLING?
- Micro-needling effectively helps to build the tissue within the stretch marks though the production of collagen. This builds up the indentation and reduces the colour of the stretch marks, in some cases making them disappear completely.
- our micro-needling devices can treat the eye contour! The result for the eye contour is a reduction in fine lines and wrinkles, along with a healthier, tighter-looking appearance.
SKIN CONDITIONS FOR MICRO-NEEDLING?
- redness from rosacea and acne scarring,
- rough skin texture,
- uneven skin tone,
- enlarged pores,
- fine lines and wrinkles,
- loss of elasticity
If you are worried about ageing skin, acne scarring, pigmentation or poor skin texture this skin needling treatment is for you.
THE BENEFIT OF MICRO-NEEDLING?
- Reduce imperfections – Micro-needling promotes the production of collagen and elastin through the natural auto-repair mechanisms of the skin, reducing the appearance of imperfections.
- Increased effectiveness of active ingredients – Micro-needling transports the active ingredients from your treatment into the deepest layers of the skin, essentially enhancing product effectiveness instantaneously.
- Improved communication between skin cells – Sends out signals that increase the communication between the cells responsible for maintaining the barrier function, pigmentation, collagen and elastin in the skin.
- Stimulates the creation of collagen
- Stimulates elasticity and improves wrinkles
- Improves skin tone and restructures mature skin
- Repairs post-traumatic skin imperfections like scarring and post-acne skin
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT AFTER MICRO-NEEDLING?
Directly after a treatment your skin may appear flushed, with slight redness and possible mild swelling. Depending on the intensity of the treatment you may also experience light flaking. The majority of the redness and swelling should subside within 24 hours with the average healing process being two to five days.
Recovery time for micro-needling is minimal. Thanks to the powerful skin stimulation, expect to some redness for 24-48 hours post treatment before the healing begins and the new, glowing skin starts to reveal itself. Your skin will also be more sensitive to the sun post-treatment, so ensure you apply an SPF50.
Immediately After Treatment
Your skin may feel hot for up to 24 hours post treatment. You may experience slight swelling and puffiness particularly around the eyes. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated. Your skin should be kept dry for 6 hours post-treatment.
Redness should subside. Possible tenderness and peeling or flaking may begin to occur. Swelling should start to subside. Gently wash with cool water and Clear Skincare Gel Cleanser. Apply Clear Skincare Copper Peptide Serum to aid the healing process.
Continue use of recommended Clear Skincare products with active ingredients. Wait two weeks before proceeding with any other treatments. Avoid sun exposure.
$160 / 75 minutes