Neck pain is one of the most common types of pain. However, exercises and stretches can mobilise the muscles in the neck and make them stronger and more limber. On top of that, a strong neck will prevent problems with shoulders, upper back and arms. Follow these stretching exercises to regain flexibility, loosen a tense neck, and banish pain.
Forward and Backward Tilt
Stand or sit with arms at your side while doing this, and please keep the movements slow and smooth.
- Start with the head squarely above the shoulders while keeping the back straight.
- Tuck the chin toward the chest and hold for 15-30 seconds. Relax, and slowly Extend the head back up.
- Elevating the chin up toward the ceiling and bring the base of the skull toward the back. Hold for 10 seconds, then return to the start position.
- Repeat the set several times. It is best to do every day.
Start with standing, keep the feet hip-width apart and arms down by the sides.
- Gently bends the head towards the right shoulder and try to touch it with the ear. Stop when feeling the stretch. Please note to not raising the shoulder.
- Hold the stretch for 5-10 seconds, then go back to the start position.
- Repeat on the left side. It should be done several sets and work up to 10 repetitions.
- For extra stretch, put a hand on the same side of the tilted head on the of the head, and press lightly with the fingertips.
This can be done sitting or standing.
- Keep the head squarely over the shoulders while maintaining the back straight.
- Slowly turn the head to the right until there is a stretch in the side of the neck and shoulder.
- Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds, and then slowly turn the head forward again.
- Repeat on the left side. Do up to 10 sets.
This is best done while standing up.
- Raise the shoulders up and shift them in a circle going forward. Repeat 6 times.
- Go back to the original position, and make another 6 circles, this time going backward.
How to Stretch Your Neck, WebMd, viewed 26 Nov 2019, <https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/fitness-neck-stretches>.
Neck Stretches, Spine Health, viewed 26 Nov 2019, <https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/neck-pain/neck-stretches>
Neck Exercises – Stretches for Neck Pain, Complete Care Chiropractic, viewed 26 Nov 2019, <https://www.chiropractic-clinic.com.au/neck-exercises/>